share

Monday 29 July 2013

THAT Interview Day

I had a job interview last week. Not many people knew as I didn't want to 'jinx it'. In fact only hubby and 2 friends knew. I haven't had a job interview for 12 years, so I was nervous to say the least. It was an interview to work in a school, ideal whilst my two are still relatively young. It all sounded perfect.
The morning of the interview started well... in as much as I got up on time and didn't sleep through the alarm! I had set the alarm a little earlier than normal as I am usually flying out the door 5 minutes before i'm supposed to be at school, yelling like a maniac at the kids.
So up I got, showered, dried my hair, got dressed. Then I had to make the decision whether to straighten my hair or do my make up. It was shaping up to be a hot day, so I opted to sit in front of the fan and do my make up first.
Then it all went wrong.
Make up done, I went to plug my straighteners in and suddenly all power went off. A few texts from friends made it obvious that there was an outage on my road and the estate behind me. Panic! For all you 'Friends' fans out there, just think 'Monica'. For those of you not familiar, I resemble a strange frizzy monster if my hair is not tamed with straighteners.
My interview was at 10.30, but Little Miss had an assembly at 9. Dilemma - miss the assembly in order to find a part of town that still had electric, or go to the interview a mess? I opted to go to assembly and hope it finished early enough that I could nip to a friends house en route to the interview.
I thought things were looking up when we were out of assembly at 9.50, a friend was letting me borrow her electric and her house was 5 minutes from the school I was to be interviewed at. I straightened my hair in record time and left my friends house at 10.15. Just as I was about to get in the car, she said to me I would be quicker walking. I debated for a few minutes - it was getting humid, my amazing straightening skills could be undone on the short walk. But, the traffic in town is notorious and what if I had trouble parking? So going against all the screaming voices in my head, I decided to walk.
I was carrying a folder full of exam certificates, ID documents (for CRB checks) and other such items. To try and keep frizz to a minimum, I used the folder to fan myself on the walk to the school. Despite my best efforts, I still arrived at the school sweating and ever so slightly frizzy.
However, I did my best to smarten up, did the tour of the school, and remained relatively calm through the interview. Next port of call was the office, to hand over my identity documents so they could photocopy them in case I succeeded in getting the job. I opened my folder..... all my documents were missing. My driving licence, passport, birth certificate and a bank statement. To cut a long story short, I retraced my steps, went home to double check I hadn't left them there, I called the police to see if they had been handed in, but they had gone. Someone, somewhere, had all the information they needed to clone me. I found some other documents to give to the school and then went home to phone all the relevant people to get my documents stopped. 
It cost me £20 to replace my driving licence which I had only renewed in March (Photo Card). It cost me £72.50 to replace the passport which had only been renewed last year. It was to cost me £10 to replace my birth certificate, but thankfully I realised I had another copy stashed away, so didn't go ahead with replacing that. 
ONE HOUR after cancelling all these documents, there was a knock on the door. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as the man handed over all my ID and told me he had been working on a building site and found them on the pavement. They had obviously fallen out as I walked along the road. Unfortunately, once you have blocked these items, you cannot unblock them even if you then find them. I guess it was my fault for thinking only the worst of people. I am so thankful to him for returning them.
Then came the phone call.
I didn't get the job. Apparently I was 'second choice' but hadn't been successful this time. So it had cost me almost £100. To NOT get a job. I should have realised at 7.50 am, when the electric went off, that I shouldn't have even bothered going to interview. 
So it is with this in mind that I am telling you all now.....
I have another interview this week, and I want you all to know about it. As this interview WILL go much better. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Awww thank you Sue :) Keeping everything crossed that Thursday goes better than last week! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...