share

Wednesday 10 July 2013

In the eyes of a 2 year old...

They say never to work with children or animals, but foolishly a few months ago I thought it would be a wise idea to volunteer at my son's nursery. I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I have ever made! I found myself put in the room with the 2 year olds and what an amazing group of children they are. In the short time I have been there, I have seen such progression in them and it makes you realise how true the old saying is that 'Children are like sponges'.
I'm under no illusion that it's an easy job if you were to go into it as a career path. Obviously as a volunteer I just see the fun side and do not get involved in paperwork, planning, OFSTED or child protection side of things, but I am currently looking into the option of training to become a nursery assistant. With a group of around 10 two year olds to deal with, there is never a dull moment.
I recall a conversation with one of the children in the first few weeks I was there. The little boy was playing with an action-man type doll and said it was his Daddy and that he was fighting. Now some of the children do come from families that have 'issues', so with a little bit of trepidation, I asked who Daddy was fighting? The little boy replied in all seriousness..... "Spiderman"! Well, who can argue with that?!
When 'work' entails playing with PlayDoh, painting pictures, singing songs and dancing round the room like a lunatic, i'm surprised there isn't more people queueing up to do it ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...