share

Sunday 21 July 2013

Teacher Gifts

It's the end of the school year again, which means only one thing. What do I buy the teachers?!
I saw a debate on television the other morning, questioning whether Teacher Gifts should be banned. My first instinct was to think 'Don't be ridiculous' and whilst I still stand by my opinion, I found it interesting to hear the different sides of the debate.
A current teacher was saying he had received the usual gifts at the end of term, but shortly afterwards had to discipline a child. The parents came in and asked him why he was being so nasty to their child, when they had always been so nice to him and bought him gifts! He was astounded to realise they were trying to bribe him with the gifts they had been buying. The other side (a former teacher) said it should be allowed to continue as children - especially Primary age children - love to take small gifts in to their teachers. However, I was amazed to hear that in some schools (although thankfully not ours!), parents were bringing in Tiffany Jewellery (!), bottles of expensive wine and other luxurious gifts.
I do think that is going a bit far, but I know my children love to take a token gift in at the end of term. I don't spend a huge amount as with teachers, teaching assistants and numerous nursery staff to accommodate, it can soon mount up. I asked a local cake shop a couple of years ago if they could make me some personalised cupcakes for the teachers - it wasn't particularly common back then - and she was so pleased with the results that she has now started selling them every year and they are very popular! I have also in the past asked her to make some teacher-themed biscuits, but more recently I have started to make the gifts myself.
I will post again soon with pictures of this years gifts, but for now here are a couple of photo's of last years gifts.


Handmade Bunting with the Teacher's name added to it. 







Hand painted wooden trinket boxes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...